How to Connect Your Gaming Controller to an Android Phone
Moe from Mondo / 08-06-2021 / Tech news
If your touchscreen gaming technique is missing the mark, it might be time to bring in the big guns. Connecting your PC, Sony PlayStation or Xbox controller to your Android smartphone is an excellent way to create an all-round smoother gaming experience on mobile.
All you will need is a device with either Android 10 or 11 and a fairly recent model controller, like any standard Bluetooth PC gaming controller, a PS4 Dual Shock controller or the Xbox One with Bluetooth capabilities.
Here’s how you can connect for seamless gaming:
PS4 + Bluetooth
How to connect:
- To sync your PS4 controller with your android device, start by activating your Bluetooth on your smartphone.
- Once your device is discoverable, turn your attention to your controller.
- Press and hold both the PlayStation and Share buttons at the same time.
- The light on the controller should start flashing and a Wireless Controller message should pop up on your phone.
- Tap on the message to accept and complete the pairing process.
- The light on your PS4 controller should stop flashing and show a steady blue which signals that you’re connected and all set!
Xbox + Bluetooth
How to connect:
- Like with the PS4, start by ensuring that your Bluetooth is enabled on your smartphone.
- To connect your phone, the controller must be fully charged and unplugged from your Xbox One.
- Press and hold the Sync button on your controller to activate its search for your phone.
- Once the devices detect one another, just tap the pop-up message on your phone to select your controller and follow the instructions to finish pairing. Once you start your game, your Xbox One controller will kick in.
While wireless connection is the prime set up, it doesn’t always work. If you’re having difficulty pairing your devices through Bluetooth, or have an older controller, try a USB-OTG cable. Just be sure to get a cable that is compatible with your phone’s charging or USB ports.